Summer is officially here! We've had 80 degree days and it's past June 21st! That means beach spray, sometimes called ocean or salt spray, is having its moment. According to Allure Magazine, ocean spray started before the Emmy Awards in 2000 when Jennifer Aniston's hair stylist filled a bottle with water from the ocean and spritzed it in her hair. But now, even if you're not near the ocean or spending the whole day at the beach you head to your local beauty salon and grab a bottle of beach spray for yourself! Not sure how to use it? Don't fret, read this blog to get you going! Here are some tips for using beach spray:
- First thing is first: beach spray is not JUST for applying at the beach. Sure, you can use it to freshen up your locks if you're on the beach, but you can use it anytime, all year long.
- Apply it on damp or dry hair and scrunch it with your fingers. Pair it with a great bodifying mousse for extra oomph.
- For curl or wave challenged ladies, dry your hair for a few minutes with a hair dryer fitted with a diffuser to bring out the curls. Flip your head over so your hair is upside down for part of the drying time.
- If you want a little extra texture, after it dries pull a dab of sunscreen through the length of your hair. "You're basically faking what happens to you at the beach," says Jennifer Aniston's hair stylist Chris McMillan.
- Mess up your part and let waves take their natural shape to really mimic the beach look. You can also pull your hair into two uber low pony tails for an unkempt, yet playful look.
My favorite beach spray - okay, confession...the only I've used, but I love it - is Sexy Hair's Soy Renewal Beach Spray (read all about my first time in this "I tried it" here.) You can use it wet or dry and it adds texture without getting sticky. Bonus? It comes in a small, travel size bottle too - perfect for touch ups.
What's your favorite beach spray?