Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I Tried It: Goody Spin Pin - Spiral Hair Pins


As you know, I'm venturing on a hair repair challenge, ie - operation anti bobbi pin, which means I can't use bobbi pins anymore.  So Patrick handed me a box of these spiral hair pins to try.  He said it's the clamping action of the bobbi pin that makes them bad for hair, so these would be just fine as long as I used them on dry hair.  I'd seen the Goody Simple Styles Spin Pins before but never been tempted enough to try them since I had been successfully creating buns with bobbi pins for year, but I decided to give them a go.  

Here's what they claim to do:
The Goody Simple Styles Spin Pin allows you to easily achieve three chic updo styles.  Simpley twirl your hair up and spin the two spin pins in for a perfect undone bun, side bun or double bun!  Does the work of 20 bobbies.
My verdict?  A fail.  Here's what I managed to create with them:


While I was able to create a small bun and get it to stay in place with the spiral pins, it didn't stay that way for too long.  It definitely doesn't do the work of 20 pins...more like 2-4 pins worth of work.  I'll give them this though, they stayed in place, it was just my hair that slid out.   I have fine hair and even though I dry shampooed and beach sprayed it, after about an hour my hair just slipped out into sort of a limp, lame, non-puffy bun...and all I did was go to the grocery store.  It definitely wouldn't have made it through a dance class!

What I did like about them?  They're textured and incredibly easy to slide in.  Maybe some of my thick haired friends will have better luck.  I wouldn't recommend buying these to anyone with thin or fine hair, but with some thicker hair or lots of product and teasing they could work.  Maybe I need to try the mini size?

Have you tried the spin pins?  What did you think?
~Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let us know your questions and comments! We welcome any comments on hair, makeup, products, etc!

Inappropriate comments will be deleted.