Perfect for summer...a curled style that doesn't require a hot curling iron! You know those silver clips the hair salon always uses? If you head to your nearest Sally Beauty Supply or beauty store, you can grab a package for yourself and create stress free curls for your hair. If you set them damp and let them air dry, you'll get a casual and cool look or old hollywood style finger waves. Give it a try, following these three simple steps from Self Magazine.
For Casually Cool strands
1. Mist clean, damp hair with a salt-based texturizing spray to get that full, rumpled look and to keep strands from falling flat, says Jen Atkin, a stylist for Clear Hair in Los Angeles.
2. Lift top sections, spritzing underneath at the roots. This gives hair "windblown" body without the help of actual wind.
3. Secure hair in two low pigtails. Divide each in half and twist the two pieces around each other, tying ends. Wind; pin twists against head. (Check out this picture at the right -- this is how your mane should look. Tip: Try securing strands with fabric hair bands, which won't leave weird ridges.) When hair's dry, unravel and run fingers through it.
For an old hollywood feel, follow these three steps:
1. Rub a quarter-sized blog of medium hold hair gel between your hands, then rake fingers through damp strands, starting an inch below roots and pulling to ends. Create a side part.
2. Twist 3-4 inch sections of hair around your index finger, pinning coils to your head with duckbill clips until all your hair is up.
3. Let hair air-dry, then remove the clips and "brush" through the coils with your fingers, pulling gently to loosen the curls.