Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Healthy Hair Swap: Hairpins instead of bobbi-pins

If you've been following the blog this year, you know I've been undergoing a "hair repair challenge," in an attempt to get healthier, happier locks.  You can check out the rest of the healthy hair posts here.  The major rules were no wet updos and no more bobbi pins.  According to Patrick, bobbi pins smash hair follicles by clamping down on them which causes breakage.  Using them on wet hair amplifies the bad effects, which was the bad habit I was used to doing: Hi, I'm Kirsten and I'm a bobbi pin addict.

So what was this updo loving girl to do?  I made a healthier hair switch - to hair pins.  Those little "U" shaped open pins that are a wig and hat attaching necessity back stage work pretty well as a bobbi pin substitute.  It took some getting used to, but they do work and feel much better when sliding them into your hair.   For things like buns, they actually work better and give you more control while pinning up a curly, loose style is a snap.

Patrick gave me the all clear to use a bobbi pin or two, so on occasion I'll pop one in if I'm having trouble keeping things in place.  Mini bobbi pins work wonders too if you only need to tuck a small section, but hair pins have made me happy.

So next time you're at the store, grab a package and give hair pins a try if you're looking for a healthier alternative to bobbi pins.
~Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let us know your questions and comments! We welcome any comments on hair, makeup, products, etc!

Inappropriate comments will be deleted.