Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I'm Trying It: Going Cruelty Free with Makeup


Ever since I adopted my adorable puppy, Ella, I've been thinking more and more about the kinds of products I've been using...mainly, are they tested on animals?  I couldn't imagine my sweet little puppy being subjected to the horrors of painful tests just so I could put color on my face.  Then when the European Union banned the whole of cosmetic animal testing (read more here), I thought why not me?  Hopefully the US follows suit, but until then I'm trying it: going cruelty free with my makeup!

Going cruelty free is easier than you think.  While you will have to swear off big box brands that are available everywhere and take out glossy full page ads in your beauty magazines...there are a lot of brands out there that ARE cruelty free!  Good news for your wallet, they're not all expensive.  Using PETA's Beauty without Bunnies site, I rounded up as many brands as I had heard off.  To be on this list, companies have to take the pledge to not test on animals and not purchase ingredients tested on animals.  Unfortunately, some brands don't test on animals themselves, but buy ingredients that have been.  PETA's list is updated frequently, so check back often and encourage brands to take the pledge.

Makeup Companies that DON'T Test on Animals
Arbonne International
Bare Escentuals
Bath & Body Works (select brands)
Burt's Bees
CO Bigelow
Carmex
E.L.F.
Hard Candy
Jane
Kiss My Face
LUSH
Mehron
NYX Los Angeles Inc
Physicians Formula
Pur Minerals
Smashbox
Tarte Cosmetics
The Body Shop
Too Faced Cosmetics
Urban Decay
Victoria's Secret (select brands)
Whole Foods 365
Yes to Carrots

Do you support any of these brands already?  Check back on Friday for a few of my favorite cruelty free products!

~Kirsten

1 comment:

  1. Great Article on Cruelty Free Brands! You should post it on Bellashoot.com! We would love to have your blog posts there. Bellashoot is a great way to reach out to beauty lovers around the world and have real conversations with them. You can link back all your blog posts to your blog. xx

    ReplyDelete

Please let us know your questions and comments! We welcome any comments on hair, makeup, products, etc!

Inappropriate comments will be deleted.