|Photo from Tumblr|
Take it from someone who hasn't always taken care of her lips...to make your lipstick look extra gorgeous, you have to take care of your lips and apply a few tricks. Here are some lip tricks that have worked for me:
- Exfoliate: Use a gentle lip scrub to keep lips smooth and flake free. You can also use a soft tooth brush or wash cloth, but a scrub works wonders, especially in the winter and when you'll be wearing a really bold, matte color. A favorite of mine? Mary Kay's, pop it on, let it set, and then wipe it off.
- Pick a Pretty Color: If you're going nude, make sure the tone matches your lip color, if you go lighter it could look "off." For colors, berries are always a safe bet too. When in doubt, try it one. Just make sure to use a q-tip at a makeup counter than sterilizes their samples or shop from someplace like Ulta, that will let you bring back opened products you don't like.
- Create a Custom Color: This is a trick pro makeup artists use all the time. Use more than one lip color! Blend one, two, or even three colors together to create the perfect lip color for you.
- Skip Summer Gloss: Shiny gloss can look great, but in the summer it's more hassle than it's worth. Glosses can also magnify UV light, eek! So avoid a sticky, hot mess by opting for a balm instead. Bonus: matte lips are in this season.
- Use a Brush: If you want your lipstick to look extra thick and more detailed and crisp, apply it with a lip brush and use a liner. Pick a matching color or try one of those new fancy clear liners. Another lip brush tip? It's a handy gadget to have for getting that last bit of color out of a worn down tube of lipstick. I like this new one by EcoTools since it comes with a cover for purse popping potential.
What's your favorite lip color?