Monday, May 20, 2013

My Love/Hate Relationship with Primer


By now you've probably heard how fabulous primers are for your skin and your makeup routine.  Why use one?  Glamour Magazine lists six reasons:

  • Smooths the skin's surface and evens out the skin tone
  • Helps to better disguise blemishes and lets you blend your concealer/makeup in more evenly
  • Makes your foundation stick around for longer
  • Fills in fine lines and wrinkles
  • Reduces shine
  • And finally, like I said before, it doesn't clog pores!

I've tried a handful of primer products, some I love and some that were relegated to the bottom of my stage makeup kaboodle.  I don't use one everyday, I find I have to remember to use it, and the good ones are expensive, BUT it is great for days when you have to go from 8am to 11pm and need your base to look fabulous.  Selection isn't limited though, there's everything from generic face primers to primers for eyes and lips and color correction, you name it.  Primers have become increasingly popular and more readily available, most drug store makeup lines (as well as prestige brands) have one now.  If you're looking to try a primer, here are four facial primers and one lip primer I tried and my thoughts:

  1. e.l.f. Studio Mineral Infused Face Primer: I tried this one in the clear color, but it also comes in green, purple, and beige.  I wasn't a big fan of this one, it was a bit overly greasy and made my cream foundation more difficult to apply, but the $6 price tag was what lured me.  I normally love the e.l.f. products (they're cheap and cruelty free!), but this one I wouldn't buy again.
  2. L'Oreal RevitaLift Miracle Blur: It's not quite a primer, but it works really well for smoothing skin.  It makes your foundation go on super smooth and now comes in a small .05 ounce trial size for under $10, full size $24.99.  Read more of my thoughts on this product on my "I Tried It" post here.
  3. Laura Mercier Foundation Primer - Radiance: I tried this great primer after winning a Pinterest Contest and loved it!  The pearlescent tint gives it a flattering look on the skin, and the super silky formula goes on smoothly and has a matte finish.  Of all the primers I've tried, this is my favorite. It made my foundation and blush look great all day.  A full size tube is $32.
  4. Smashbox Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer - Adjust:  I picked up a trial size of this great primer in an attempt to correct some of the redness on my cheeks.  The green color helps cut redness a tiny bit, but it doesn't take the place of concealer as I had hoped it would.  It goes on smooth and lasts all day, but is a tad more greasy feeling than the Laura Mercier one.  $38 for a full size bottle, or $15 for a trial/travel size.
And finally, a lip primer.  I tried Mary Kay's TimeWise Age-Fighting Lip Primer, which worked wonders when paired with a lip scrub for making lipstick stay on a little longer.  It's super smooth and slick to put on and you barely notice it's there.  Just let it sit for about 30-60 seconds before slathering color on top.

Have you tried any primers?  Did you love them or hate them?  Leave a comment and let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let us know your questions and comments! We welcome any comments on hair, makeup, products, etc!

Inappropriate comments will be deleted.